Friday, February 21, 2003

Web site journey

I've hesitated probably too much time in trying to decide which form should this site be in... (should it be a blog, a simple and static personal page, or a fancy dynamic CMS (Content Management System). I started looking for blog system in the open source (ok I'm biased toward using Java since it is the language I have experienced with and also probably too lazy in learning an easier one such as PHP ;-). So I've installed and played a bit with tools such as Pebble and Roller Weblogger.

These tools worked perfectly fine and seems to be well designed so I even posted my first few notes using these. Later I decided to look for a more organized site structure with clearer hierarchical content form than what a weblog, with its calendar-dependent organisation, could offer. I realized that the concept of CMS (content management system) offer very convenient and powerful way to keep a dynamic personal site. So I've checked and found out that there are literally thousands of CMS only looking at the open source ones, but lucky for me most of them are PHP-based, so they were quickly eliminated ;--))! I even installed Magnolia for a couple of months and created a great deal of content.

However, I'd assumed from the beginning that hosting these applications would be a simple matter of installing a Tomcat server on my desktop and loaded it up with the web app! Although this turns out to be true, the biggest obstacle was not related to software installation and configuration but rather to hardware networking: my upload Internet link is simply way toooo sloooow to encourage even the 14.4Kb modem users to check my site! (without mentioning the trouble with having a 24/7 server in my basement...).

I could have looked up for an web hosting with Tomcat installed (there's plenty of them), but then I decided to simply go the easy way and registered with Blogger!

Martin

No comments: