Friday, September 29, 2006

I hate UI-type development

Why do I hate having to deal with UI-type development... I don't know but I have some hints:

I simply suck at it!

Although I enjoy using intuitive UI and appreciate the design value of it, I neither have the patience nor the talent to do it! In my view so much time and effort spent simply in designing a nice HTML/JSP page or rich client equivalent (with SWT for ex.) is too frustrating for the end result. I sometimes have to do it when delivering an end-to-end product for clients, and typically most of my time will be wasted on these UI stuff! I guess I could outsource all these, actually I even tried it once... but finding a good designer willing to develop inside JSP page is another challenge on its own!!!

When I first did some RCP stuff in Eclipse, I appreciated all the advanced design patterns available in library such as JFace but I soon got bored and tired again in dealing with all these widgets details consideration, I'm hopeless.

I guess I'll stick to creating domain business layer, service business layer, data access layer, and other more non-visual feature!

Martin

No comments: